Thursday 20 September 2012

Cathedrals


Every city tour includes the cathedrals. It is very evident that they are a big part of the history and culture here. People say once you've seen one, they all look the same. To an extent I would say that's true, with the exception of the one in Barcelona designed by Gaudi. You will recognize it in the photos, I'm sure.

Even though they look the same, I don't tire of them. I am in awe of the amount of thought, creativity, work and time that has gone into building them. They are amazing. Every painting, statue, stained glass window, carving and symbol has meaning, all depicting parts of the Bible. Jesus' birth and crucifixion are always central, and being Catholic, Mary is also revered. The twelve disciples are also always included. But there are many other stories from the old and new testament represented.

And when I enter, silence echoes throughout the immense stone chambers and you can feel God's presence there. I know you can worship God anywhere, any time, but there is something different about walking into these cathedrals. It's such a peaceful, reverent feeling.

Although I'm trying, it can't really be described with pictures or words.

How Great is our God!









1 comment:

  1. "Even though they look the same, I don't tire of them" - agree completely!

    ReplyDelete